Friday, August 19, 2011

Exhausted, but focused

Well, it's safe to say that yet another kidney infection is kicking my butt. Thanks, lupus! It has been 3 months since the last one!

Moving on...Let me tell you about this little degree I found through Fresno State. It is the Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing. It is a terminal degree, meaning it is the same level as a PhD, so I can teach English at the university level (Did someone say UNR, Jaime?). I have spent a lot of time lately thinking about what career I *can* do. Now I'm actually looking towards something I want to do. The thesis is a full on book (novel, nonfiction, poetry, whatever!). A book!! That doesn't seem daunting to me at all. In fact, it seems exciting and I just can't wait. There are a few logistical things that need to take place first, however.

I need to actually take a creative writing class. I feel like I am good at writing. I've written a lot of clever things for school, but I seem to start writing a great MANY things and never get around to finishing them. The other problem I have is that the degree needs to be completed in 5 years. So, I may wait until Connor is in school before I make the leap because it is going to take some time. That doesn't mean I am going to sit back and wait that long, though. I am going to start writing. I'm going to take as many writing classes as I can. I am going to start sending my stuff off to magazines and see where that gets me. Jared informed me that I can self publish short stories with the Kindle community. I am going to do that.

I am so excited!

No comments: